I know that we are completely flooded with all things pumpkin this time of year, but I hope you aren't quite sick of it yet!
I bought a sugar pumpkin a few weeks ago with the intention of making my own pumpkin puree and finally got around to doing just that on Sunday afternoon. For a great photo tutorial on how to roast a sugar pumpkin and make your own homemade pumpkin puree, check our Ange's post here. I spent $1 on the pumpkin and it ended up making about 2 1/2 cups of puree....not too shabby considering a can of pumpkin puree can cost up to $3.99 around here!
Not only do I luuuurrvvvee the flavour of pumpkin spice anything, I absolutely adore pumpkin for all of it's health benefits too:
* 1 cup of pure pumpkin puree has over 200% of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin A
* pumpkin is rich in carotenoids, including beta carotene (antioxidant!!)
* pumpkin in a good source of fibre, packing 7g into each cup
* pumpkin is packed with potassium (move over bananas)
* pumpkin aids your pooch if he/she is having some trouble with *ahem* the scoots
* the seeds are rich in calcium & zinc
* pumpkin is low in fat and calories
* every part of the pumpkin can be used in some form, so there is absolutely NO waste
- check out Gina's tips on how to use an entire pumpkin from seeds to skin here
As soon as the pumpkin puree was made, I gave each of my poochies a big ol' scoop with their dinners and got to work making myself a breakfast for Monday morning.
Um....I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but there is seriously no better way to start your morning than with this oatmeal. It takes 5 minutes to make and is absolutely delicious!
Pumpkin Pie Slow Cooked Steel Cut Oats
1/2 c steel cut oats
1 c unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk)
3/4 c water
1/2 c pumpkin puree
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp Earth Balance (or butter)
Place everything into your crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours.
I used my little dipper crockpot again, which is the perfect size for this oatmeal recipe.
I topped my bowl of oatmeal with chopped walnuts.
Hands down the best oatmeal recipe that I have ever made.
If you love pumpkin as much as I do, I'm pretty sure you're going to love these recipes too:
- Jenna's Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Angela's Vegan Pumpkin Mac N Cheeze
- Jessica's Roasted Pecan Pumpkin Butter
- Sommer's Southwest Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- Sarah's Pumpkin Streusel Swirl Loaf
What's your favourite Fall flavour?
Have a great day!