Sunday, March 6, 2011

Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes with Fried Apples

 It's a gorgeous Sunday here in Southwestern Ontario, Derek is home from his week away and I've been craving pancakes, so I decided to skip the green smoothie and pull out the griddle instead.

These gluten-free pancakes are more dense than the average pancake with a delicious hint of banana.  If you have never tried banana pancakes, trust me when I say you need to! My pancake recipe is healthy, easy and delicious, but if you have a tried and true family recipe that you just love, try replacing an egg with mashed banana - you will thank me later if you do, because banana pancakes are the bomb-digity of pancakes!!

Top them with some maple syrup fried apples and voila! you have an amazing breakfast.

Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes (& they're vegan too!)
Makes 7 small pancakes

1 c brown rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of cinnamon
1 tbsp brown rice syrup (white sugar would work)
1 tbsp coconut oil (I think canola oil would work)
1 c almond milk (or your favourite milk)
1 overripe banana, mashed

Mix all of your dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.


In another bowl, mix together the brown rice syrup, coconut oil, almond milk and banana.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.

Mix well. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes while your griddle heats up.


Pour batter onto hot, greased griddle. I used about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake.


Once the pancakes begin to bubble and the edges look dry, flip!


I didn't time how long per side, but I would estimate it was about 3 minutes per side to ensure they were cooked all the way through.

Now, if you have ever visited a Cracker Barrel in the USA, you might have had fried apples before. My family lives in Kentucky and you can often find fried apples on the menu of the local restaurants. I love ordering them as a side to my meal, however those apples are fried in mounds of butter and white sugar. I have created my own recipe for fried apples that are just as delicious, but a little more healthy. They are a fabulous addition to banana pancakes and fresh, real maple syrup just puts this breakfast over the top!

Fried Apples
3 granny smith apples, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (I think canola oil would work)
3 tbsp maple syrup
pinch cinnamon

Melt the coconut oil in a small frying pan. Add maple syrup.

Once the maple syrup begins to sizzle and bubble, add your apples.


Stir until the apples are well-coated and continue to cook on medium heat.


After a few minutes, add your pinch of cinnamon and continue cooking.

Warning: As good as this looks and smells, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TASTE.
Trust me when I tell you that you risk losing all taste buds on your tongue if you do --- ouch!!

Cook the apples for 12 - 15 minutes making sure to stir often. They are done when the apples are soft and starting to brown and the sauce has reduced and thicked slightly.


Once the pancakes are made and the apples fried, arrange your pancakes on the plate and smother in apples. I followed with a drizzle of maple syrup.

Delicious!!

Now, this is what I call breakfast of champions!!

What is your favourite pancake topping?
What is your favourite breakfast on a lazy Sunday morning?

I hope you have a wonderful Sunday ~ I'll be lazing around with my sweeties....
er, right after I do the 2 sinkfuls of dishes that are waiting for me :-)


Andrea


2 comments:

  1. this looks wonderfully delicious; perfect for a saturday. I love applesauce on my pancakes, or a bit of yogurt. SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those apples look delish! I've been meaning to do that on my pancakes, but then I always get so greedy with my apples and don't want to use an entire one on breakfast. ;)

    ReplyDelete