Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Grandma's Spiced Fruit

Tonight I had my weekly dinner with my grandparents. After a very long day at work, I walked through their door to an amazing aroma. Sitting on the stove was a big pan of spiced fruit. Sweet pears, peaches and pineapple smothered in a brown sugar curry sauce. Who would have thought?!

I don't normally cook with curry and I think I'm a little afraid of it. I have only had Indian food a couple of times and normally I find the smell of curried dishes to be too strong and over-powering for my tastes.

But this dish was certainly an exception. It was delicious!

Grandma's Spiced Fruit
This recipe is my grandma's version. See the note below for my healthier variation.

20 oz canned peaches, halved
20 oz canned pears, halved
20 oz  canned pineapple rings
1/3 c melted butter
3/4 c brown sugar
2 tsp curry

Heat oven to 375. Greast a 9" x 13" pan. Arrange fruit in the pan.

Mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the fruit. Bake for 15 minutes, making sure to baste the fruit after 10 minutes.


This dish was really fabulous. I think it would be amazing served with vanilla bean or french vanilla ice cream!

*NOTE: It would be so easy to make a healthier version. Just substitute the canned fruit for fresh fruit and the butter for Earth Balance. It probably would take longer to bake, but it would be so worth it!! I actually found the canned fruit a bit too sweet and I think fresh fruit would be amazing. I will let you know how it turns out when I try my version.

Grandmas are the absolute best! She was beaming as I snapped a few pictures of her dish. I think I just might start a Wednesday tradition featuring one of her dishes. She will feel like a star! :-)

What is your favourite curry dish - I would love to step out of my comfort zone & try some new dishes - send me your recipes please!!

Good night all!

Andrea

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your post on my blog...it lead me to yours. You live in Canada? Wonderful. I in in the Ontario province at this time also....I wonder what places in Ontario you think are fantastic to LIVE in? (Toronto, Waterloo, Oakville, etc)...thoughts? I added your blog to my google reader (I LOVE your "about" blurb...so fantastic). I'm not vegan...but I admire you....I wonder how you ventured into veganism...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome for the post on your blog! I'm not actually vegan although that is the way I eat a lot of the time. My choices began because of my love for animals and my feeling that I do not want to be responsible for the harm, discomfort or death of another living being. After a year of no meat, I feel the best I have ever felt in my adult life! Thank you for your kind words about my blog - I hope you continue to enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. article j8u69a0l89 replica wallets replica bags wholesale india he has a good point t3k35g1m61 louis vuitton replica handbags replica bags chicago best replica bags online 2018 replica gucci q5n64z8y62 replica bags from china

    ReplyDelete