Monday, March 28, 2011

I Can't Believe I'm Craving Greens!!

This morning when I was putting our lunches together, the following thought passed through my mind:

"Gosh, I'm really craving a salad. I'm definitely going to have to make one for dinner tonight."

Excuse me?!? Craving a salad! Never in my wildest imagination did I ever think this thought would cross through my head! I had a small side salad with my dinner yesterday, but other than that I didn't get many raw veggies over the weekend. I have been making a real effort to eat better and eat my salad a day and I think my habits and taste buds just might be changing for the better :-)

In order to satisfy my salad craving, I decided to whip up one of my most favourite salads. This recipe comes from This Crazy Vegan Life by Christina Pirello. She has an incredible story about how changing her diet literally saved her life. I admire her for her zest for life. She is passionate about healthy, kind eating and has also started an initiative to get healthier food into American schools. Maybe you've seen her cooking show. If you've never heard of her, you should definitely look her up.

Mustard Scented Chickpea Salad
Slightly adapted from the recipe from This Crazy Vegan Life by Christina Pirello

3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
pinch sea salt & black pepper
3 tbsp finely chopped red onion
2 large sprigs of fresh basil, thinly sliced
1.5 c chickpeas
3 c mixed greens or baby arugula (I used a spring mix)

Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, red onion and basil in a small bowl to make the dressing.


Toss with the chickpeas and salad greens and serve. I enjoy this salad chilled, but it can also be served at room temperature.




I served my salad with some white bean hummus and baked multigrain Skinny chips.


Another fabulous dinner!!

This recipe combines some of my most fave foods: balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard and chickpeas. It's no wonder its a total winner with me. The recipe above makes enough for two large dinner portions or in my case one dinner and one lunch!

Who has motivated and touched you in your quest for a healthy and wonderful life?

I hope you have a wonderful evening,

Andrea 

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm oh girl, this dressing is so simple and so tasty looking!! It looks like bottled dressing :)

    Hmmm all my blog friends have helped and my own personal experiments on my body has gotten me to my happy body!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete