Friday, June 1, 2012

Challenging Myself and an Awesome Broccoli Salad

Happy Friday my friends! This week was a short one for me and it's flown by. Life/Work continues to be crazy busy, so I'm looking forward to putting my feet up and doing some relaxin' this weekend. Hopefully the weather is warm and sunny (they're calling for rain, but I can always hope!), so that I can finally pull out our patio furniture and soak up some rays.

Yesterday I saw a post by one of my bloggie friends, Kelly. She did a recap of some challenges that she set for herself at the beginning of May and then updated us on how she did. I like the idea of putting my plans in writing, so that I can keep focused on the things that I'd like to accomplish. To keep myself on track, I'm going to share my June goals with you.... 

Pinned Image

Ahem, obviously there a couple of reasons why I'm drawn to this image ;-)

Here goes.....

  1. Eat a salad a day. Angela has started this challenge and I intend to eat my greens every.single.day. If you think this is a challenge you'd like to do, check out Ange's post and join in the fun! It's always more fun to do a challenge and get healthy with friends to encourage and support you. Follow My Salad a Day Pinterest board for some ideas too!
  2. Practice using my new camera - you may recall that Derek got me a new Canon Rebel T3i for Christmas. For some reason, using it intimidates the hell outta me. I took it with me when we visited my family last weekend and some of my pictures are phenomenal. My goal is to use it everyday, so that I can get more comfortable with the settings and create much better photos for the blog.
  3. Create a vision board. Listen, I have been trying to do this for months but I just never get around to it! I have the board and I have some images, so all I need to do is put everything together.
  4. Implement a weekly workout routine that I can stick to that incorporates both cardio and weights. Another thing that intimidates me?? Using the weights at the gym. This is one of my 'issues' that I'm determined to overcome. I'd also like to get into the habit of working out before work at least 3 days per week.
So there you have it....easy peasy right?! I'll keep you updated on how it's going and then make sure you check back at the end of the month to see how I did.

...Are you guys still with me???? I know this post is a bit on the lenghthy side, but I hope you're still here because I also have an amazing broccoli salad to share. If you think you're going to participate in the salad a day challenge, this will definitely help you to start off on the right foot.

Mediterranean Broccoli & Chickpea Salad
Serves 4 to 6

6 c chopped broccoli
2 c chickpeas
1/3 c sliced black olives
1/2 c thinly sliced red onion
1/2 c of the best dressing ever - recipe here
sundried tomatoes & goat cheese (or feta) for topping

Add the broccoli, chickpeas, black olives & red onion. Toss with the dressing and refrigerate for at least one hour. Top with a sprinkling of sliced sundried tomatoes and cheese.

This would be great to serve at a barbecue with family & friends.

For a total 'party in your mouth' experience, chop your broccoli into quite small pieces so you can get a taste of everything in each and every bite :)

This is a great salad to make ahead and take for lunch or serve it as a side.

Last night I had it with the best quesadilla combo on the planet.
(Patience peeps...quesadilla recipe to come)

Do you have any goals or challenges this month?

Do you have any newbie photographer tips? All of these pics were taken with my Canon --- I love using it and can't wait to get better!

T.G.I.F.! 

Andrea
xoxo 

5 comments:

  1. I so wish I could do a salad a day but man that is tough, I go and and out of salad moods! I cant wait to see how you do (which I am sure will be great!)

    Have fun with your camera! I love mine now that I know how to use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Courtney! I'm actually going to do the Photo A Day June challenge, which should help get my creative juices flowing :)

      Delete
  2. I am also doing the eat a salad a day challenge so I am wishing you good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of the daily salad! I'm going to follow along and hopefully get some good inspiration from you...right now my salad tends to be one of three rotating recipes;-) My goal this month is to incorporate dance classes into my workout routine...figured if I make it fun, it'll be easier to stick with;-)

    ReplyDelete