Monday, July 16, 2012

Bananarama Protein Pancakes

Hi there! How was your weekend? Mine was pretty lowkey, which was really nice and unexpected for the middle of summer. Next Saturday is jam-packed with plans, so I enjoyed the downtime in my sweats chillin' at the homestead.


Somtimes it feels so go to be a homebody for a day  :-)

Pinned Image

Yesterday I had our lunches made, laundry folded, this blog post prepared and all my food prepped for the week by 2 p.m. The rest of the day was spent watching James Bond movies, drinking coffee and perusing my favourite blogs. It actually felt quite decadent!

Part of my food prep included making a batch of protein pancakes that I can toast up for breakfast or a post-workout snack throughout this coming week. I seem to have developed a bit of an obsession for these pancakes recently. I've been experimenting with all sorts of different recipes and today I decided to give my own combo a try. I must say they turned out to be fabulous --- they're dense and healthy and packed full of protein. I'm actually having a hard time keeping them in the fridge without diving in for one every few minutes --- ah, the dangers of successful recipe creation ;-)

Bananarama Protein Pancakes
Makes 10 3" pancakes

1 c old fashioned oats
3/4 c 1% cottage cheese
3/4 c egg whites (6 egg whites)
1 banana
1 scoop vanilla protein powder ~ I used Vega Vanilla Almondilla*
1 tbsp chia seeds*
1tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp sea salt

*The protein powder and chia seeds are optional --- if you omit the protein powder, you may want to taste test your batter and add a little sweetener (sugar, stevia, etc.) to your tastes.

Add all of the ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth.

Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Spray with cooking spray between each round of pancakes. Pour the batter into the skillet to make 3 to 4" round pancakes. Cook on the one side until the edges start to look dry. Flip the pancakes and cook until cooked through.

Serve with a bit of Earth Balance (butter), some pure maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon or whatever pancake toppings rock your world!


The chia causes the batter to get really thick as it sits, so be ready to cook the pancakes as soon as the batter is made for easier pouring.


Cook slowly on medium heat.


Come to momma... 



I cool the leftover pancakes on a wire rack and then store them in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator so that I can eat them all week long.

Enjoy!

What is your favourite pancake topping?

What do you love to do when you spend a day hanging out at home?

Have a great day,

Andrea
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.

    I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any suggestions for novice blog writers? I'd certainly appreciate it.



    Here is my blog :: calculate bmr

    ReplyDelete