Friday, November 9, 2012

Feeling the Love Inside & Out

You guys....I've had a really, really great birthday week.

I have received so much birthday love, it's been totally overwhelming! I've received cards in the mail, texts, emails, calls, Facebook messages and lots of lunch and dinner invites.

I've been out to eat ALOT, but other than a couple of meals where I strayed a wee bit, I've completely stuck to my clean eating plan. I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to have delicious, clean meals without sacrificing taste & satisfaction!!

Not only have I been conscious about what I eat when out at a restaurant, but I've been playing around in my own kitchen as well. I don't want to completely give up some of my fave foods, so I'm determined to put my personal spin on some old classics to make them clean, healthy and totally delicious!!!

This recipe has been one of my most recent successes. Who doesn't love apple pie this time of year?! I put some of my fave apple pie flavours into a cool and refreshing smoothie and have been enjoying them for breakfast and post-workout snacks all week long. Adding oats to a smoothie, is a great way to give it some 'staying' power, so that you can go a few hours before the hunger beast takes hold. Between the oats and the optional addition of some protein powder, this smoothie is surprisingly filling and will easily tide you over until your next meal.

Clean Apple Pie Smoothie
Serves 1 hungry clean eating machine

1 c unsweetened original almond milk
1/4 c oats
1/4 c water
3/4 c unsweetened applesauce (my recipe works awesome minus the brown sugar)
2 tbsp plain Greek yogourt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 - 1 tsp stevia
pinch cinnamon
Optional: 1 scoop vanilla protein powder

Soak the oats in the almond milk overnight.

When you're ready to enjoy your smoothie, remove the oat mixture and pour it into your blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. I like my smoothies to be silky smooth, so this one needed to be blended and blended because the oats give it a little more texture than your usual fruit smoothie.
  

This is a great breakfast or post-workout snack!

What's your fave fruit to use in a healthy smoothie?

I've definitely had received my share of love this week and now I feel the need to share some love for some great reads from earlier this week. Go check them out and leave some love for some of my fellow bloggers:

~ Jenna got engaged and she has a beautiful  engagement story
~ David Kirsch did a great guest post that encourages us to make fitness and wellness a daily ritual
~ Tina had a very special celebration this week

Do you have any great reads I need to see? Link 'em up!  

Enjoy the weekend!
Andrea
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. What a great post to read first thing in the morning. Your happiness has started my day off wonderful! I am so glad to hear you had such a wonderful Birthday week. You deserve it!

    Mmm, I make my apple pie smoothie almost identical to yours, however I'll add a scoop of cinnamon bun protein powder. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great birthday week! That smoothie looks so good. I need to try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete