Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Orzo Spinach Greek Salad

Howdy! Welcome to Tuesday; only 2 more days to go in this short little work week and then a long weekend - wooohooo!!!

Tomorrow my office is having a potluck lunch. Our potlucks are amazing! For the meat eaters, there is a turkey cooked all morning on a rotisserie and a slow cooked ham and then tons and tons of delectable sides. My task was to bring a spinach salad, but I was determined not to bring just any salad. I wanted something mouth-watering and delicious. Alot of co-workers and friends follow my blog, so lately I've been feeling the pressure to bring a really kick butt dish wherever we go! Lucky for me, I'm always up for a challenge and I think I hit a jackpot with this salad!!

At first my plan was to make a greek salad with spinach, but that just seemed too blah, so I decided that I would make a greek inspired salad with orzo paired with the most amazing, most delectable homemade greek dressing ever!!

Spinach and Orzo Greek Salad
Makes 1 large salad perfect for a crowd.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what my critics say tomorrow, but I have a feeling that my salad is going to be a huge hit. One thing I know for absolute sure is that the dressing I've made is the best one yet!! It's amazing and I'm going to be making it alot!

16 oz package uncooked orzo
3 - 4 c. packed baby spinach, thinly sliced
2/3 c. feta cheese 
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 c. sliced black olives (I think kalamata would be better, but I used what I had on hand)
1/2 c. sundried tomatoes, sliced

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook orzo for 8 to 10 minutes ~ you want to cook until it is al dente. Drain and rinse the orzo under cold water. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.



If you were planning to serve the salad right away, you would add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. I'm not serving my salad until tomorrow, so I added a small amount of dressing to the orzo, so it wouldn't get sticky and dry overnight. I then topped the orzo with the spinach, feta, red onion, black olives and sundried tomatoes, but I didn't mix them in. I covered it like that and put it in the fridge to chill overnight. I will mix the ingredients together and add the dressing about 20 minutes before serving tomorrow.




....and now for the most amazing part: The Dressing
I found this recipe at allrecipes

1/2 c. olive oil
1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 1/4 tsp dried basil
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp onion powder (I didn't have, so I left out)
1 tsp dijon mustard
2/3 c. red wine vinegar

Add all ingredients in a blender or Magic Bullet. Pulse until well blended.



Store in an airtight container. I don't think you'll have to worry about this dressing going bad. It is so good, it won't last long enough :-)

Unfortunately, you don't get a final shot of my gorgeous creation quite yet. Patience my pretties, I will unveil the final product tomorrow.

Make sure you check back tomorrow for the final reveal and for my second "What I Ate Wednesday". I promise it's going to be mouth-watering. You're going to wish you worked with me ;-)

What do you love to take to an office potluck?

Have a great evening.

Andrea

4 comments:

  1. Orzo is one of my favorite things! I have never had an office potluck! There are only 3 of us in the office, but I think it sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love taking something healthy! Oh and I love anythign greek! This has my name written all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful! I love green salad and I just may steal this recipe for my next church potluck! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This salad was delicious and the dressing was stupendous. I got to have the actual salad since I work with Andrea. AMAZING, I'm glad you didn't go with the traditional spinach salad, thanks.

    ReplyDelete