Thursday, May 5, 2011

Spring Is In the Air

Yay!!! I'm so stoked that the sun is shining and it looks like we might have some gorgeous sunny weather for the next few days. I guess the saying "April showers brings May flowers" might really ring true this year!

We haven't been able to do any outdoor work around our house because our ground is clay and it is wet, wet, wet!!! Check out our grass. (I know I should be embarassed to show this, but hey all I can say is blame Mother Nature)


It should have been cut last Saturday, but Derek was working and it has rained ever since! Our yard looks more like a field than a backyard right now ~ thank goodness we have big dogs and they don't seem to mind ~ a chihuahua might get lost back there!

Thankfully, tulips and daffodils don't require any work from a green thumb. We have some beautiful flowers coming out. I love no maintenance gardening!!





Hmmmm....how'd those get in there. Seriously, we need to get out the gardening gloves and get to work!


As long as the weather is nice, you may notice that my meal ideas and recipes get easier and easier. I don't like spending the evening inside when I could be outside walking the dogs, having a bevie on the deck or doing some yard work.

In keeping with my love of breakfasts for dinner, check out my super easy and delicious dinner.

I was so busy snapping pics outside that I didn't think to snap a single one of me making this, so you're going to have to be satisfied with just a final product pic --- whoops!

Greek Omlet

All you do is take two of your favourite little eggs and whisk them up with a dash of almond milk. Pour your eggs into a small frying pan that has been heated (on medium heat) and greased. Leave until the eggs are starting to look cooked around the edges. This is when you add your veggies - I used diced tomato, olives and sweet onion.

Tip for making omlets: I used to be the worst omlet maker in the world because I could never get a good flip. The secret is to let your egg get mostly cooked before flipping. Once the edges of the egg are cooked, place a few drops of water around the edges of your pan. Cover the pan with a lid and let the egg steam cook for a minute or two. Then presto! The flip is an easy success. I learned this little tip from Derek's Grandma Bernice.

Once the omlet is flipped, add your cheese (I used feta). After a couple of minutes, fold the omlet in half and give the cheese a moment or two to get all melty and gooey and delicious.

Presto! Ten minutes and you're done. Pair the omlet with a garden salad or a side of fruit and you have a well-rounded delicious dinner. I had some organic bananas to use up, so I sliced one up as my side. It was super yummy!

What's your favourite Springtime flower?
What's your favourite omlet combo?

Have a sunny and delicious day!

Andrea

4 comments:

  1. I've never made an omelet with feta before. I usually make mine with shredded cheese and turkey breast :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flowers! Tulips are my absolute fave. They can brighten any day!

    Fave omlet combo...feta and broccoli. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never go wrong with a plain cheese omelet. It sounds so boring, but sometimes basic is best! I love adding in all the extras too, but sometimes I just crave cheese! (Like everyday!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tulips are great. As for omlettes, hmm..anything with lots of cheese in it!

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete