Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Tex Mex Salad

Good Morning! Happy Thursday to you. We're almost through another week and only a day away from the weekend.

Last night I was having a look through my kitchen trying to decide what on earth I was going to have for dinner. I had zero inspiration and wanted something quick and easy. As I searched through my fridge & pantry, I realized that I have a ridiculous amount of food in my house! My pantry is so stuffed that if you move even one jar or can, five more things come toppling out. In an effort to clean things out and get more organized, I've decided that we need to eat what we have and refrain from hitting the grocery store every other day for supposed supplies.

I am a grocery store addict and really do pick things up at least every other day. Shhhh 
Derek isn't fully aware about my dirty little secret ;-)

So after taking a peek around my kitchen, I decided that the first things I needed to use up were some black beans and corn that I had left over from a few days ago. I also had some mixed greens that needed to be eaten up. So what do you get when you put together black beans, corn and mixed greens ~ why a Tex Mex Salad my friends!! I ended up concocting one of the best salads ever!!

Check it out.

Tex Mex Salad
Makes 2 large salads or 4 sides

This salad is to die for! I think it`s the guacamole that put it over the edge. It`s filling and delicious and vegan to boot! As a bonus, I was able to use up a bunch of veggies that have been sitting in the fridge for several days that otherwise might have ended up in the trash.

3 - 4 c. mixed greens
1/2 c. black beans
1/3 c. corn kernels
1 c. favourite veggies, chopped (I used tomato, orange & green peppers)
1 fresh lime
2 tsp avocado or olive oil
pinch salt & pepper, to taste
2/3 c. guacamole
14 nacho chips, broken up

Optional Toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, olives, shredded chicken

To assemble the salad, top the mixed greens with the black beans, corn and veggies. Squeeze the juice from the lime half over the salad, followed by the oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.





Top the salad with guacamole and nacho chips (I used my baked nachos). You can also add any other toppings you wish.



Serve and enjoy!

This salad is the bomb-digity!! I loved every single bite. I am always skeptical about having a salad for dinner because I don't think it will fill me up, but this salad was very satisfying!

This is yet another example of an easy and healthy meal that can be whipped up in minutes! It's great for vegetarians and vegans, but by adding some shredded chicken, you could easily satisfy the carnivores in your life.

Speaking of meat eaters and non-meat eaters, take a second and hop on over to Erin's site to check out her Meat-less May Challenge. She has challenged her readers to cut back on the amount of meat they eat for one month. She isn't asking you to become a vegetarian or completely eliminate it from your diet, just cut down by having one or two meatless meals per day. Try it for one month and come back and let me know if you noticed anything different about the way you feel.

For me personally, I noticed some significant changes after I stopped eating meat. I don't feel sluggish like I used to and my afternoon slump is nothing like it used to be; I sleep better at night, which makes me feel much more energized all day. One other noticeable change is that I no longer feel like I have a block of cement in my belly after a big meal. I feel full, but not bloated and gross. 

If you're interested in joining Erin's challenge, click on the button in the right column of my blog and visit her site, The Healthy Apron. She is a wealth of knowledge and she is always sharing valuable information on healthy eating. I've learned alot of great information from her and I promise that you will too!

How often do you have a meatless meal?

Have a wonderful day,

Andrea



2 comments:

  1. Great post!! The salad looks delicious and easy to make. I love the idea of eating less meat. I think that for the summer it is an ideal change. I going to check out your friend's site right now ;)

    http://ladyonaroof.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete