Thursday, August 25, 2011

Better Than Grandma's Tomato Soup

...that's what Derek said anyways, although I'm not 100% convinced! Our grandmas are all pretty phenomenal in the kitchen and my soup is pretty darn fantastic....so maybe we should call it tie and leave it at that.

Are you getting "tomatoed" out here on on Vegvacious??? I promise that this will be my last tomato recipe....for this week anyways :-D



Derek's been asking me to make some homemade tomato soup like his grandma does. My dad used to make a wickedly delish tomato soup when we were kids too, so I had lots of inspiration for this one and I have to say it turned out amazingly well. {a little pat on the back now and then is healthy for the soul!}

Homemade Tomato Soup
Serves 4

This soup is soooo delicious! I'm planning to freeze some fresh tomatoes, so that I can whip this up on a cold winter day because it will be perfect as a warm tasty comfort food on a cold dreary day!

6 c chopped tomatoes (I left skins on)
2 c veggie broth
2 c milk (I used 1% dairy milk because that's all I had, but unsweetened original almond milk would have been my first choice if I had some)
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp Earth Balance
sea salt & pepper to taste

Combine the tomatoes and veggie broth in a medium to large pot and place on high heat. Bring to a boil.

Reduce to medium high and add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for 15 minutes.


Remove from the stove.

Add the soup in batches to your blender. Be careful because hot soup in a blender can make the lid pop off! I use an oven mitt to hold the top of the blender on. Pulse until the soup is to your desired consistency. I pulse each batch a few times.



Serve & enjoy. We garnished ours with additional black pepper and some crushed up multigrain pita chips.


Other fab toppings would be a swirl of sour cream, some shredded cheese, croutons or slivered basil --- the options are endless!!!

Eat up, but be warned that tomato soup fresh off the stove is HOT - Warning: tongue burning on the first bite is NOT GOOD! Then you won't be able to taste the rest and that really stinks (er, not that I would know from personal experience ;-) What is it with us food bloggers burning our tongues all the time!??

Do you have a favourite family recipe that you like to re-create?

Have a fabulous day!!! It's Thursday people ~ one more day 'til the weekend woot woot!!!!
Andrea

7 comments:

  1. I will never be tomatoed out! Keep it coming :) And my favorite "family" recipe is my grandmother's english muffin recipe--so good, warm, yeasty and fresh, even when I make them vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great and simple recipe-- I'm sure the substitution of almond milk would be divine :)

    My favorite family recipe to recreate would have to be lasagna..mmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this looks divine- I'm a tomato fiend and so happy that its tomato time of year still. I just made some fresh salsa yesterday with the most delicious grape tomatoes...
    yum!
    Meri
    http://merigoesround.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! I'm picturing it with big homemade garlic croutons. I'm going to freeze some tomatoes and try this when the weather cools enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!! I love this recipe!! Tomato soup is FAB, I haven't had it forever...I used to love campbells tomato soup growing up....tasty but not so good for you ;)

    Yours looks wayyy better!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an easy recipe! I need to get on this one. I try to make tomato soup complicated when it just shouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome recipe! And keep those tomato recipes coming :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete