Monday, August 22, 2011

Roasted Veggie Pasta

Happy Monday! I'm happy to announce that I'm no longer a sick-o and am feeling completely back to myself!! That stomach bug kicked my in the boo-tay!!! I never get sick and there is nothing worse than being sick in the middle of the summer. Obviously someone missed the memo that summer's almost over and I have zero time to be wasting in bed! Social butterflies like myself have no time to spare :-D

I missed a couple days of good eats last week and when I finally got my appetite back I was HUNGRY! In fact, I think I went a little overboard on the weekend (I was making up for my lost meals!), so this week I'm getting back to healthy, reasonably portioned meals.

Yesterday we stopped at a veggie stand and I picked up some fresh tomatoes. Nothing says summer like tomatoes fresh off the vine!! Last night we had grilled tomato and cheese sammies (HEAVEN!) and tonight I was craving some seriously fresh and delicious tomato pasta. I whipped up a roasted veggie and tomato pasta that is going to absolutely knock your socks off! It was so easy to make and when you have fresh veggies, you really don't need much more to amp up the flavour. The veggies do all the work themselves.

Roasted Veggie Pasta
Serves 4

4 c cooked pasta (I used brown rice pasta)
3 c chopped tomatoes
 4 - 5 c chopped veggies (I used sweet onion, mushrooms, yellow pepper, zucchini)
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp finely sliced fresh basil
sea salt & pepper to taste
1 c mixed baby greens (spinach and arugula work awesome in this)
2 - 3 tbsp olive oil
crumbled feta (freshly grated parm would be awesome as well!)

Preheat your oven to 350. Grease a cookie sheet or use your favourite baking mat. Make sure your pan has sides. I used a flat baking sheet and lets just say the bottom of my oven is now covered in lovely blackened tomato juice. Oops!

Cook your pasta according to the directions. Drain, rinse and set aside.

Throw your tomatoes, veggies and garlic into a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and add sea salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat.


Spread the tomato/veggie mixture evenly out onto the cookie sheet.


Roast the veggies for 20 minutes, making sure to flip about halfway through for even roasting.

Remove from oven.

Combine the veggie mixture, pasta, greens and basil in a large bowl.



Top with feta when serving. Delicious!!!!

This would make a greal meal to enjoy with a pal (or a sweetie) on a
warm summer night paired with a nice glass of cabernet.

What is your fave veggie to pick up from a roadside veggie stand?
Any oven cleaning hints? Mine is A HUGE MESS!!!! <sigh>

Have a great evening!

Andrea

11 comments:

  1. Mmmmm!!! I just made roasted veggies and orzo! It's one of my family's favorite recipes! Perfect for a quick dinner!

    SO glad you are feeling better! Being sick in the summer is awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey for not being sick anymore :)

    I'm very thankful that your appetite is back because now you can show me some awesome recipes again! (such as this one)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha --- it is not good to have a stomach bug when you are a food blogger!!! Luckily I have lots of recipes up my sleeve for the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh-- being sick is the worst!! But isn't it always the BEST when you get your appetite back?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Errr...this isn't helpful probably...but the best thing I ever did was buy a self-cleaning oven. Turn on the cleaning cycle for a few hours, and then just wipe it with a damp cloth...everything looks new and shiny.

    Your roasted veggies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No oven cleaning hints for you, mine is a mess too :). The pasta sounds scrumptious, I just might make it tonight :), Miriam@The Pionee Cookbook

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy - that looks great! My fav thing to buy from veg stands are either sweet potatoes, peaches, or cucumbers. I just bought a big, beautiful sweet potato from one this afternoon, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, roasted veggie ANYTHING (or even just plain roasted veggies) are so good! Tomatoes are my favorite fresh veggie, as you can't get anything even vaguely similar from a grocery store. And now I really want shell pasta. Why do the different shapes seem to taste different?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad that you're feeling better!! Love the veggie pasta, yumm :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh this is amazing! with or without the feta the color is splendid!

    ewww oven cleaning, just did it last week. S.O.S pads and lots of elbow grease ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love road-side vegs stands!! Haha faves would be tomato, cukes, peppers and peaches :)

    ReplyDelete