Monday, August 15, 2011

Grandma's Banana Muffins

Happy Monday! I hope you've had a great day!

I'm so sorry that I've been MIA once again --- this summer has been so darn busy that it's hard to find time to keep on top of the blog. There is so much I've been up to, you know with all the summer barbecues we've had to attend, the summer concerts we've enjoyed, the ice cold bevies that have been consumed, oh yeah and there's that Vegas trip I'm booking!!!


That's right, Derek & I are heading to Las Vegas for a friend's wedding that is taking place on Hallowe'en!!!The flights were booked last night and tonight we're booking our hotel. I cannot wait and I have to admit that all of my spare time has been dedicated to searching out the best flight and hotel deals and to end my mission to find the cutest Hallowe'en costume ever!!

Have you ever been to Las Vegas before? I have once and Derek has twice and we absolutely LOVE it! There is so much to see and do! I think it's safe to say you might hear a little about our trip as we start our planning :-D

But today is not about Las Vegas.....it's about sharing a fabulous recipe courtesy of my grandma L. I've been gone far too long and I want to make it up to you and this is the best way I know how! This is a beloved family recipe that my grandma makes time and time again. If you stop by for a visit there are bound to be some delicious banana muffins kickin' around for you to snack on. Derek and our friend, Jeff, stopped by to give my grandpa a helping hand last week and they got sent home with 2 muffins each. If only the world could revolve around 'payment by muffin' instead of money!!

Grandma's Banana Muffins (w/ Chocolate Chips)
Makes 12 muffins

These are the best banana muffins ever in my opinion! I will cherish this recipe until the day I die and I hope that it can be passed down through our family to my neices and nephews and then on to their children. The nice thing about these muffins is that they freeze really well. That's an important quality to have when you could eat 3 or 4 muffins in one sitting...er, not that I would know ;-) Enjoy!

3 ripe bananas
1 egg
1/3 c. vegetable oil  (I would have used coconut oil, but I didn't have enough)
1/3 c. white sugar
1 c. white flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
Optional Addins: chocolate chips, chopped nuts, dried fruit (I used chocolate chips today)

Preheat your oven to 350.

Grease your muffin pan or line it with muffin cups.

Add the banana, egg, oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl and stir until well blended.


Add in the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.


Fold in the chocolate chips.


Spoon evenly into 12 muffin cups.


Bake for approximately 20 minutes. I always use the ol' toothpick trick ~ you know they're cooked through when the toothpick can be inserted into the middle and is clean when pulled out.

Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack. You might want to enjoy one asap, but be careful of the chocolate chips! Those babies are HOT at first and you don't want to burn your tastebuds off on the very first bite!!


Yummmmm......



Do you have a favourite family recipe that you love to make that makes you think of your grandmother?

Have a great night!

Andrea

6 comments:

  1. We are here when you are here! So glad to see you back. :) Vegas at Halloween? Color me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Vegas! I get a bit overwhelmed by noise and flashing lights, so I'm not even sure that I'd love it. But I really do want to go someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAY!!!!!!! You know what?? I have NEVER been to Vegas!!! You're going to have a blast!!!

    I love banana muffins!! My nana always is making fun german desserts so that's what reminds me of her....a good Strudel :)

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the muffins, how yummy! And I have never been to Vegas but I really want too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Vegas but I hope to go sometime! I hope you have an amazing time and I can't wait to hear about it once you start your plans!

    ReplyDelete