Sunday, August 7, 2011

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for....Zucchini?!?!?!!

Happy Sunday!

Are you having a fabulous weekend? This has been a fairly uneventful weekend for me, which has been really nice. We've been super busy lately and the end of the summer is jam packed with a wedding, arrivals of LOTS of babies, milestone birthdays, year end team parties and family visits.  Sometimes it's nice to spend a day bumming around home and chillaxing a bit.

Derek's away for most of the day and I woke up with an urge to get my booty into the kitchen. Well, first I hit the gym and then I stopped by my favourite veggie stand (I'm pretty sure the gal working the stand was really happy to help this sweaty, red-faced
babe :-) ....and then I got my booty into the kitchen.

One of my best deals at the veggie stand was 3 zucchinis for $1. You can't get a much better deal than that! You've probably noticed that I tend to use zucchini alot around here, but I have yet to share my most favourite way to eat it......I'm talkin' about some seriously amazing zucchini bread!

Zucchini Bread
Adapted from allrecipes
Makes 1 loaf

This is the best zucchini bread recipe I have ever made. I've made a few minor changes to make it more healthy and it is the most moist, mouthwatering bread of all time!!!! Tastes best when served warm smothered in Earth Balance. This bread freezes really well.

1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 chia eggs (or regular eggs)
1/2 c coconut oil
2/3 c white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 heaping c grated zucchini
1/2 c chopped walnuts, optional (I didn't have any this time, but usually I do include them)

Grease an 8" x 4" loaf pan. Preheat oven to 325.

Sift flours, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a medium sized bowl.



Mix chia egg, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Note: I found the batter to be a little drier when I made my healthy substitutions, so I added a little under a 1/4c of water. Feel free to add a splash of water, if necessary.

Looks different when using chia --- but it's so healthy!!!


Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.






Bake for 40 to 50 minutes on the middle rack. You'll know it's done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool on the rack.


I dare you to try and eat just one slice!!! The first bite is pure heaven. I might have had two three slices as soon as it came out of the loaf pan. Don't judge :-)  


What is your favourite way to eat zucchini?
Do you like to make your own breads and muffins? Fave recipe - please share or link it up!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend,


Andrea

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I looooove zucchini bread. My mom and I made a double batch a few days ago. I love throwing in some raisins and walnuts. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love zucchini bread! Haven't made in ages though, must change that asap!
    I love breaded zucchini, mmmm better then fries... almost :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE zucchini bread!! I don't make it nearly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made zucchini bread before :O this recipe looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made zucchini bread before, but I know I like to eat it. :) My fav ways to eat zucchini are grilled or just sliced on a hummus sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally scream for zucchini. and scream AT the ice cream truck. for it to shadddup already =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never used to like zucchini bread but lately I have become a fan! I really like to eat just plain old roasted zucchini! It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo hello delicious zucchini bread!!!! I have never made a zucchini loaf before...I should really get on this wagon quickly here :)

    I love fried zucchini in a pay with coconut oil. Swoon!!!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zucchini bread is one of my favorite breads! Love the addition of chia:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love weekends that can actually be more low key. Such a rare but wonderful thing.

    And zucchini is probably our most eaten veggie here. It's so versatile and wonderful! And I'm all for using it in baked goods. This looks like a great zucchini bread!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's funny, I just made zuccini bread yesterday. It looks a lot like yours :), and yes zucchini is coming out o my ears at the moment!! :), Miriam@The Pioneer Cookbook

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmmm, I love zucchini bread! And I most certainly will NOT judge your three slices, since I can put away a loaf in a day. Or sooner.

    ReplyDelete