Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Comforting Cauliflower Soup

I can't believe how cold it is tonight. It makes me want to wrap up in my favourite fleecy blanket and hunker down for the night, but alas I have two sweet furry faces staring at me to go out for their nightly walk. I can't resist, so out we will go.....but first, I have something creamy and delicious to pass along...it's so warm and comforting and perfect for dinner on a cold winter evening, that I just have to share.

Check out my Comforting Cauliflower Soup recipe. I saw a recipe in The New Complete Vegetarian by Rose Elliot and I was inspired....so as soon as I got home from work I started cooking. First, I pulled out all of my ingredients.


For this recipe, you will need:

2 Tbsp of Earth Balance (or butter)
1 Tbsp of olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium potatoes, chopped
1 head of cauliflower, chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic (I was out, so I used garlic powder)
4 c vegetable broth
1 tsp sea salt (I used Spicy Herbamare)

Heat Earth Balance and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently to avoid browning.

Add in potato, cauliflower and garlic and cook for 4 minutes. Again, stir frequently because you do not want your veggies browning.

Add the vegetable broth and sea salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the veggies are nice and tender.



Look at the simmering pot of golden goodness....trust me, at this point it is starting to smell like heaven and your stomach's about to start growling!

Pour the mixture into a blender ~ you will probably have to do it in 2 or 3 batches ~ and blend until creamy and smooth.

Season with salt & pepper and enjoy.


This soup is so delicious. It is creamy and rich and so healthy! You can hardly believe that it isn't full of butter and cream - my husband, Derek (aka: the ultimate taste tester) loved it and that means alot ~ especially when there's no meat involved! Okay, I admit I did give him a big loaf of buttery garlic bread & cheese, so he was a little distracted, but he did have seconds of the soup, so I know he loved it!

Well there you have it, the first ever recipe posted by this newbie blogger. I hope you enjoy it. Now go get bundled up and stay warm tonight!

Until next time...
Andrea

8 comments:

  1. Yum, it sounds and looks delicious, I like that you post pictures and thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a lover of creamy soups and especially of ones without cream in them!! This looks absolutely stunning!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It is awesome....I made some co-workers taste it today at lunch and the consensus was that it was divine. Definitely a staple dinner for cold wintery nights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to try this! I just bought myself a food processor today so now I can blend properly and will be making this very soon. Awesome blog, Andrea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you love it Amanda - it is by far my favourite cauliflower soup recipe. I wasn't really excited about the soup, but when I tasted it - wowza - it was awesome!! Thanks for keeping in touch with my blog - I'm glad you are enjoying it! (I should pick up some Epicure spices from you and whip up some things especially since they are all vegetarian) - I'll have a look and maybe put in an order - let me know if you have any good suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pop over to these guys Dolabuy Prada directory Gucci Dolabuy click for more dolabuy.ru

    ReplyDelete
  7. visit this website v0b48w6q24 replica louis vuitton bags replica bags philippines greenhills replica kipling bags replica hermes bag y9c28u3q40 replica bags in gaffar market look these up m0t34s1k05 bags replica gucci replica bags blog

    ReplyDelete