Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

Happy Hump Day!!

So, I am having a little problem. I am starting to get myself psyched up and ready to start the 21 day cleanse this weekend, but instead of weaning off caffeine, sweets and processed foods, that seems to be all I am craving. I think my subconscious is trying to tell me to eat as much of the "bad" stuff as I can before I start the cleanse, but my logical sensible voice is saying that I am really going to regret it when I have my first sugar and caffeine withdrawal!!

Derek is not helping matters. Today he bought me a Cadbury Cream Egg. I love cream eggs. I spied them in the store a few weeks ago and they have been on my mind since, but I have held strong and kept them out of my cart....until today. Derek has good intentions, but really he is becoming my "enabler".

In order to be able to eat my cream egg, I have made a deal with myself. I have to have a healthy dinner first and no other snacking. So, the question is...what am I going to eat that will be satisfying yet very healthy?? I've got it!!

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad w/ Cranberries & Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
2 c sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp sea salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp rosemary (I used dried, but I think fresh would be even better)
1/4 c raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 c dried cranberries

Dressing:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
pinch of pepper
additional pinch of rosemary (if you love it as much as I do)

Mix cubed sweet potatoes, coconut oil, sea salt, garlic and rosemary.


Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes (make sure you flip halfway through). I like my sweet taters dark and crispy, so I left them the entire 30 minutes.

Those look so amazing; why they look good enough to eat .... hehe

Meanwhile, toast your pumpkin seeds. Place them in a dry frying pan over medium heat. Stir constantly for approximately 3 minutes until the seeds are golden brown. Do not let them burn!


Also, you can whip up your dressing while the potatoes are cooking. Add all ingredients and whisk together.

Once the potatoes are cooked, place them in a large bowl and let cool for approximately 10 minutes. Add pumpkin seeds and cranberries.




Toss with dressing and serve.


This salad is really delish!!  I enjoyed it warm, but I think it would also be really good when chilled.

It is pretty and festive and would be a nice side to serve your guests. I think you could really spruce it up and make it look fantastic if you had fresh rosemary for garnish.

Hope you have a wonderful evening ~ I am off to watch Survivor (I am team Rob all the way!!)

Andrea

Note: I drizzled just 1 1/2 tbsp of the dressing over the entire salad. I was afraid it would be too overpowering and take away from the taste of the salad ingredients. Next time I might add a splash of honey to the dressing to mellow out the taste of the vinegar.

17 comments:

  1. What a great blog! I am so encouraged by your passion to live a healthier lifestyle. I will definitely check your recipes and if I try one, I will let you know :)

    http://ladyonaroof.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found my blog!! Definitely let me know what you think when you try some of my recipes. I am usually a recipe follower, so creating my own is something new for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dinner looks delicious. And yes - I get the cream egg allure. I caved last weekend at the store and had one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious to the max! I love roasted veggies, especially sweet potatoes (and beets!)
    Before I went on this cleanse, I ate half a chocolate bar (it was a ginger chocolate bar, how could I resist?) and sort of pigged out. I think our brains freak out a little if you even think about cleansing. But now, my sugar cravings are gone. That other half of the ginger chocolate bar is patiently waiting for me, for when I'm finished. It'll taste so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This combo sounds killa! I just bought my first bottle of coconut oil--looks like I know what to break it in with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SO my kind of recipe!!! Love this flavor combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm new to your blog but I just have to say this sweet potato salad looks so colorful and healthy! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great looking salad! I think I am going to rock this salad this weekend! Thank you :)

    Awwww, remember if you do slip up, don't fret about, just make the choice you can JUMP back on any time :) I almost...almost ordered a short decaf americano today just to taste coffee.....do you think this is ok?? Lol!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mm.. I just came here from OH SHE GLOWS because this looked SO good!! I'll have to try it out forsure! It looks amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looove the combo of pumpkin seeds + sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I have something to do with my sweet potatoes and pumpkin seeds, lol. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Winning! I gotta try this asap. Maybe even the Husband will try it it. It looks picky-eater friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This is just gorgeous and I am quite sure delicious. Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so delicious and festive! Sweet potatoes are definitely my favorite Thanksgiving food!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meanwhile, toast your pumpkin seeds. Place them in a dry frying pan over medium heat. Stir constantly for approximately 3 minutes until the seeds are golden brown. Do not let them burn! cotton razai blanket , blue sofa cover ,

    ReplyDelete
  16. read what he said c4i47g4k75 best replica designer replica bags south africa my site d8d32h5f20 louis vuitton replica handbags replica bags chicago Learn More Here s8p35t1w12 replica wallets replica bags 168 mall

    ReplyDelete