Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Warm You to the Soul Winter Vegetable Casserole

I don't know about you, but I am starting to tire of this cold wintery weather. The only thing that I miss once spring arrives is the warm comforting food that I make in the winter to warm us from the inside out. I just love root vegetables and chilis and stews and all the hot steamy bowls of heart-warming meals we have from December through to March!!

My grandma made a delicious vegetable casserole last week and I decided that I was going to put my spin on it and see what I came up with.

Warm You to the Soul Winter Vegetable Casserole
~ inspired by Grandma L.

2 large red skin potatoes, sliced
1 med butternut squash, peeled and sliced
2 leeks, white parts only, sliced
1 c. celery root, peeled and sliced
2 c. vegetable broth
3/4 c. unsweetened original almond milk (regular milk would work)
1/3 c. all purpose flour
1 tbsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
Topping:
1/4 c bread crumbs
2/3 c. walnuts
3 tbsp of Earth Balance, melted (butter would work as well)

Preheat oven to 425. Grease a large casserole dish.

Mix potatoes, squash, leeks and celery root in a large bowl.

Doesn't that mix look divine???  

Next, in a large pot heat the vegetable broth, milk, half of the melted Earth Balance, rosemary, nutmeg, pepper and salt.

Whisk it all together to ensure it is well mixed.

Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook until sauce has thickened - make sure you stir constantly because it will stick to the bottom.

This sauce thickens very quickly and it gets really thick, so if it gets too thick for your taste, just add a bit more almond milk.
This is the kind of creamy sauce that I like...yum yum!! It looks good enough to eat with a spoon!

Once the sauce has thickened, add it to your vegetables and mix well.

Pour the mixture into your casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, make your topping.

Add walnuts, breadcrumbs and remaining butter. Mix well.

After the casserole has been in the oven for 30 minutes, remove and sprinkle on the topping.

Reduce heat in oven to 350 and bake an additional 40 - 45 minutes. Insert a knife into the middle of the casserole to ensure all of the veggies are soft. If not, you might need a few more baking minutes.

Once done, remove and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Doesn't this look fantastic??

This casserole is so delicious.I loved the taste and aroma of the rosemary and the crunchy walnuts just put it over the top. If you aren't a nut fan, you could probably doing a breadcrumb crust that would be just as fabulous! The smell in the kitchen was so mouthwatering, I could hardly wait the 5 minutes before digging in!

I was a little concerned about whether or not Derek would like this dish because he tells me that he likes his food "plain" and that I don't have to make things "fancy" for him (this is the guy that would eat a steak and microwaved 'baked' potato for every meal, so you can appreciate what I put up with ;-) Anyways, he absolutely loved it, so it is yet another keeper in my recipe vault. 

Between you & I, it wouldn't have been a heart breaker if he didn't like it ~ I would have been quite happy to eat the whole thing myself <sigh> ...I have issues :-)

Hope you had a happy & productive hump day...now we can all look forward to the weekend!

Andrea

2 comments:

  1. OMG....what are you going to make for me when I'm there??? Love the looks of everything so far....
    See you Friday for dinner-Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casseroles are that one thing that really gets me into my comfortable state! The smell of it baking, the first bite, the steam....sigh. I want it now for lunch!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete