Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hearty Vegetable Soup

I am a very lucky girl because I still have all of my grandparents to celebrate life with. In fact, all four of my grandparents were able to accompany us on a trip to Mexico to renew our vows this past November. I am so very grateful  for their good health and vitality and for all the times we get to spend together.

It has become a weekly tradition that I have dinner with Grandma & Grandpa L. They have been very accepting of my decision to become vegetarian and my grandma has been experimenting with all types of new and 'out of her comfort zone' recipes to ensure I get a good, hearty and healthy meal. Tonight was no exception. When I came through the door to their house, I was engulfed with the smells of fresh veggies and hearty tomatoes. On the menu, Hearty Bean and Barley Soup ~ and I must say it was a perfect meal for yet another cold and blustery night. This is a recipe that would be so easy to whip up and I especially love it because most of us already have the ingredients on hand. Check out that bowl of wholesome goodness.....trust me it was scrumptious ;-)


Hearty Bean & Barley Soup
~ inspired by Campbells (or so I believe)

1 tbsp olive oil
2 large carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 box (900mL) of vegetable broth
1 19 oz can of red kidney beans
2 c diced tomatoes
1/4 c uncooked pearl barley
2 c firmly packed fresh baby spinach
ground black pepper

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add carrots, celery and onion and cook until tender.

Stir in broth, beans, tomatoes and barley. Heat to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until barley is tender.

Stir in spinach and season to taste with black pepper. Cook until spinach is wilted.

Spoon into bowls and enjoy. I love really thick hearty soups that are full of veggies. This soup was perfect....it was almost more like a stew than a soup.  It warmed me from head to toe which made me very happy :-) And how lucky am I???? There was just enough leftovers for grandma to send me home with a bowl for lunch tomorrow ~ I am so spoiled (& I love it).

Obviously I got my passion for cooking from the grandmothers in my life. I have lots of old family recipes I am planning to share in the months to come.

Stay tuned.....
Andrea

3 comments:

  1. This soup sounds awesome and I will be trying it forsure. Believe it or not I am looking into eating less meat myself... I won't say never eat meat but one step at a time. Thanks for the recipes and the awesome story about your grandmas.... I wish I had mine today :(

    Take care Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, renewing your vows in Mexico, sounds amazing! is that where you initially got married?
    p.s. your soup looks pretty good too! thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we didn't get married in Mexico, but we took a cruise for our honeymoon and stopped in Playa del Carmen for a day. Our vacation and vow renewal was amazing....I think destination weddings are the way to go!

    Enjoy the soup!

    ReplyDelete