Saturday, February 19, 2011

Rustic Chocolate Chunk Banana Oat Cake with Cashew Butter Sauce

I first discovered the world of food blogging when I stumbled across Angela Liddon's blog, Oh She Glows. She is one of my favourite bloggers and I check out her posts on a daily basis. She has a lot of insight about life and chasing your dreams and she also has some really fabulous vegan recipes. You should check her out!

This morning I decided to make her Rustic Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Cake with Peanut Butter Glaze. This recipe is fantastic. I followed Angela's recipe making only a couple of substitutions: I didn't have any nuts, so I added slices of banana and dark chocolate chunks to the cake and I used cashew butter instead of peanut butter in the glaze. The cake was phenomenal! My mom is quickly learning that I have to take 100 pictures during every cooking venture, so rather than reiterate Ang's recipe, I am going to share my photos of making this scrumptious breakie:

I have an over-abundance of bananas taking up space in my freezer - what better way to use them up than a banana cake...especially one that includes some chocolate!

Making oats into an oat flour is so easy.

Blend the dry ingredients. 

Add wet ingredients to dry & mix well. 

Add the goodies - chunky bananas & dark chocolate chunks. 

Pour batter into a greased 8'x8' pie plate. 

There are no eggs in this recipe, so you or your kids can lick this bowl clean...er, I don't have kids, so I guess I'll have to do it myself ;-)

Be patient - my cake was perfect after 25 minutes of baking. 

Wow!

Now for the cashew butter banana sauce...start whisking

Keep whisking - you want the sauce to be nice & smooth!

Doesn't that look delicious - & it's so easy!! 

The finished product - this cake was SCRUMPTIOUS!! 

Let's just say, my piece did not last very long.

I make a mess when I'm baking...where are my cleaner elves when I need them?? 

I hope those cleaner elves show up soon because my mom & I are off to watch The King's Speech this afternoon. I'm super excited about checking out this Oscar nominated flick ~ I'll let you know what I think.

I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday - if you live in Southwestern Ontario, watch out for that wind ~ I'd hate for any of my friends to get blown away today - it's crazy out there!!

Andrea 

No comments:

Post a Comment