Sunday, February 13, 2011

Vegetable Stew with Heart-Shaped Biscuits

Stew is something I have always loved. Before becoming a vegetarian, I would whip up a big pot of beef stew from scratch---I just loved the stuff! Lately I have found myself craving stew, but I've never attempted to make a vegetarian version, so yesterday I thought what the heck, I was home alone so if it didn't work out, no one would be the wiser....but I have some fabulous news....it turned out absolutely amazing!! I am feeling like a proud mama about this stew because it is the first recipe I have developed completely from scratch that I can call my own!! Of course, in keeping with the Valentine's Day theme and my new cookie cutters, I had to whip up a batch of whole wheat biscuits (cut into cute little hearts) to serve on the side.

This stew is full of delicious, healthy veggies, which are smothered in a red wine mushroom gravy....are you drooling yet??

Vegetable Stew
2 Tbsp Earth Balance (or butter)
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 potatoes, chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 c. mushrooms, sliced
¼ c. dry red wine
5 c. mushroom or vegetable broth
1 – 2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp rosemary
4 tbsp cornstarch
½ c. water


Place Earth Balance in a large pot over medium heat. Once melted, add in onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and 1 tsp salt and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.

I could eat this mixture with a spoon - adding the salt brings out the flavours just perfectly.

Add in carrots, potatoes, sweet potato, celery and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.


You will have to stir frequently so the veggies don’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Add red wine and stir to coat veggie mixture.

Add mushroom or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. You can add rosemary while the pot is simmering.

In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until dissolved. Once veggies are tender, add to simmering pot. Allow to cook for a few more minutes until stew is at the desired consistency. Add additional salt and pepper, if desired.

This stew is rich and savoury and very filling. Derek came home several hours later and asked what was cooking...the aroma was still mouth-watering!

Heart-Shaped Biscuits
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. white all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 c. Earth Balance (or butter)
3/4 c. unsweetened original Almond Milk (or regular milk)

Pre-heat oven to 375 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Blend together flours, baking powder and salt.

Cut Earth Balance into the dry ingredients.

Add the milk and stir. Once you get it started, you will need to finish mixing with your hands. Knead the dough until all of the ingredients are mixed and the dough is smooth.

Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out until to a 1/2" thickness. (the easiest way would be using a rolling pin, however mine seems to be MIA, so I pressed it out with my fingers which worked as well)

Cut biscuits into squares or circles or use your favourite cookie cutter (mine of course were cut into little hearts ;-))


Place onto baking sheet and bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown.


Serve with the stew. These little guys are best when served immediately.


Mmmmm....I guarantee you are going to love this meal....& if you're lucky (like I was) you will have just enough leftovers to have for lunch the next day. I have a feeling the stew might even be better on day 2.

Wishing you a happy Sunday....put your feet up and get in some good ol' rest & relaxation.

Andrea

2 comments:

  1. holy moly girl. I think you just won my heart! Red wine and stew? Red wine IN stew?! My dreams have come true!!

    I love stew......so good!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you love it --- I thought it tasted amazing --- doesn't everything with red wine ;-)

    ReplyDelete